We hope this letter finds you well. As we prepare for the February Recess, here are some important updates:
Mission and Vision Committee
We are forming a committee to work on the Core Values, Vision and Mission of Our Lady of Mercy Catholic Academy.
We are looking for a small group of dedicated parents to come together to create the future of OLMCA with us. We are asking for your unique perspective, opinions and a willingness to work in an active forum to share ideas and plan for next steps. We will create the vision that will shape the future of OLMCA along with its policies and curriculum.
The first session will be held February 27th from 6-9pm in the Gymnasium. The following sessions will be determined once the committee is set. Committee members will be asked to do homework and really hone-in on what OLMCA is about.
RSVP Here: https://goo.gl/forms/rxlAXt0pLiNLJlK82
OLMCA Religion Bee
Last week Mrs. Ray held our annual Junior High Religion Bee. Violet Dutton (Grade 5), Isaiah Phillips (Grade 5), Anna Dry (Grade 4) and Madeleine Fong (Grade 4) will be representing our school in the Middle Grades Regional Diocesan Bee. Representing OLMCA at the Upper Grades Regional Bee will be Naomi Goya (Grade 6), Sofia Tavares (Grade 6), George Burke (Grade 8) and Vanessa Berletti-Papa (Grade 7). Congratulations to all our students. We are so proud of you!
All About Our New Recess Program
Our new recess program is in full swing as we continue with the second and final week with E3 Sports leading the way. We have tested a variety of setups for indoor and outdoor games, and are feeling great about our findings and progress.
- Outdoor recess has 4 stations for students to choose from: basketball, jump roping, soccer and spikeball.
- Instead of sending the students back to the classrooms, indoor recess now takes place in the gym and parish hall, directly after lunch. Students can choose to jump rope, play basketball, hula hoop, spike ball or board games.*Please make notice that a minimum of TWO lunch duty parents are required.
- The Recess Monitor role has been created to help setup and store play items; these are students selected by teachers and awarded a dress down day after providing service for 2 weeks.
- A Recess Committee is being formed to help ensure our new recess program continues to run efficiently, adapts to new changes and fosters growth. A Recess Volunteer Guideline will be shared this week to communicate responsibilities.
- The gym will now have a dedicated place for students personal belongings during recess (coats/outerwear), and visual aid tools will be installed to help conduct physical education messages and lessons.
We hope you share in our enthusiasm with launching this new initiative to help our students grow. In order to ensure a seamless transition AFTER E3 Sports has finished, we would like to emphasize the importance of “lunch duty” volunteers, whom also manage recess. The E3 Sports team has proposed a recess program that can continue to be successful, with the condition that every lunch/recess period has 2 adults for supervision, especially for indoor recess. If every student had one adult volunteer once a month, we would have coverage for the entire school year.
We urge you to revisit your availability, and maybe consider a close friend or relative (Virtus trained) that can fulfill the lunch duty volunteer requirements and help ensure students enjoy their recess time with more play. As a reminder, Lunch Duty shifts are K-3 from 11:25-12:20pm, and 4-8 from 12:10-1:00pm.
To sign up for Lunch Duty this month click here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70A0E44ABA82BA2FA7-lunch6
To join the Recess Committee email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Third Annual St. Patrick and St. Joseph Party
SATURDAY, MARCH 16, 2019, 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM
70-01 Kessel Street, Forest Hills, NY
(Lower Church Hall – Entrance by Side Elevator and Juno Street)
ADVANCE TICKETS REQUIRED: $50/PER PERSON Hot buffet Irish and Italian Cuisine, Rolls, Antipasto, Salad and Dessert Monsignor McGuirl’s Famous Irish Soda Bread Wine, Soft Drinks, Ice, Tea and Coffee (BYOB the Hard Stuff) Music by DJ Dave Brennan of Afino Entertainment Irish Step Dancer, Céilí Dancing, and All Time Dance Floor Hits
TICKETS ARE AVAILABLE AT THE RECTORY
FOR MORE INFO: 718-268-6143 / EMAIL OFFICE @MERCYHILLS.ORG
Checks payable to “Our Lady of Mercy” – Noting “St. Patrick/St. Joseph
Have a wonderful and enjoyable break!