I am excited to share that Our Lady of Mercy Catholic Academy is implementing a Math and Reading program called i-Ready in Grades K-8. Below, you will find information about the program and how we will be using it in the classroom. Grades 1-8 will begin to take their initial assessment this week and Kindergarten will take their initial assessment towards the end of the month.
What is i-Ready?
- i-Ready is an online program that will help us determine your child’s strengths and areas for growth, personalize their learning, and monitor their progress throughout the school year.
- i-Ready allows us to meet your child where they are and provides us with data to inform instruction.
- The i-Ready Diagnostic is an adaptive assessment that adjusts its questions to suit your child’s needs. Each item a student receives is based on their answer to the previous question. For example, a series of correct answers will result in slightly harder questions, while a series of incorrect answers will yield slightly easier ones. The purpose of this is not to give your child a score or grade but to determine how to best support their learning.
- i-Ready Instruction provides students with lessons based on their individual strengths and areas for growth. These lessons are interactive and provide strategic supports to keep your child engaged as they learn.
What can I do to help?
To help prepare your child for the i-Ready Diagnostic, encourage them to:
- Get a good night’s sleep and eat a full breakfast the day of the assessment.
- Try their best on each question and try not to rush.
- Try not to worry about questions they do not know—remind them that it is expected they will get only about half of the questions correct.
- Be respectful of other students who take longer to finish.
- Use paper and pencil to show work for math questions.
To support your child’s learning in Online Instruction, you can:
- Discuss your child’s progress on their i-Ready
- Celebrate your child’s learning and growth.
- Encourage them to use i-Ready at home.
- They will need access to a computer or iPad®, internet, and their login information. To check if your system meets i-Ready system requirements, please visit i-Ready.com/Support to run a system check.
Thank you for your continued support and for being a partner in your child’s learning! I look forward to sharing i-Ready information with you throughout the year. If you have any questions about i-Ready, please do not hesitate to contact me or the school.
You can also learn more about i-Ready by visiting i-ReadyCentral.com/FamilyCenter.