Welcome back! We hope that you and your family had a wonderful holiday season. Bishop DiMarzio has deemed 2021 as the“Year of Renewal for Catholic Education.” It seems to be the perfect theme for the start of the new year. Best wishes for a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year!
Travel Policy Reminder
NYS COVID-19 Travel Advisory: The NYS COVID-19 travel advisory requires individuals who have traveled out of New York State to non-contiguous states for more than 24 hours to either quarantine for 10 days upon return to New York State or “Test to Exit” quarantine.
For students who were out-of-state for more than 24 hours:
Students must obtain a test within three days of departure, prior to arrival in New York.
- The student must, upon arrival in New York, quarantine for three days.
- On day 4 of their quarantine, the student must obtain another COVID test. If both tests come back negative, the student may exit quarantine early upon receipt of the second negative diagnostic test.
The Office of the Superintendent of Schools for the Diocese of Brooklyn has expanded the International Travel Advisory to include all International Travel.
Full Information on the NYS COVID-19 Travel Advisory can be found at: https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/covid-19-travel-advisory
Full Information on the CDC Recommendations for Holiday Celebrations and Travel can be found at: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/holidays.htm
Please if you have traveled this holiday season and must quarantine or test out of quarantine, let OLMCA know as soon as possible so we can advise you of the exact dates of testing and successful return to school. It is vital that you are honest with us because failure to adhere to these policies can put all students and staff at risk.
TerraNova Exams Canceled (Grades 3-8)
Please be advised that the TerraNova, Grades 3-8, test administration in January 2021 will not take place and has been postponed until Fall 2021 because of COVID-19 concerns. We will continue to use iReady as an additional tool to obtain student data.
Hunt for the Golden Chocolate Bar: Final Results!
On December 14th through the 18th we announced the “HUNT FOR THE GOLDEN CHOCOLATE BAR” fundraiser with Aigner’s Chocolate Shop. It is with great pleasure that we share that this event raised more than $2,000 in sales for the small family owned business, and brought in $453 for Our Lady of Mercy that will be put towards paying for COVID expenses. We shared the attached photos of the winners and their prizes on our Facebook and Instagram pages, listed further below.
This was a “sweet” and wonderful way for us to come together as a community, especially during a time when we aren’t able to conduct our more traditional fundraising gatherings at our school location. We are grateful to our families and school for all your support.
A Special THANK YOU to the following people:
- Rachel Keller with Aigner’s Chocolate Shopfor their partnership.
- Rosangela DeJesus with Angela’s Dominican Cake Mixfor their sponsorship and donation of delicious cakes.
- Peter Garguilo withGrand Designs Creative for the professional promotional artwork.
- Melissa Rober with Semiya Marketingfor event development and execution.
– Erin, Nursery: a$50 gift card to Aigner’s Chocolate Shop to buy more goodies, and a dress down day!
– Noah, 4th Grade: Fresh baked cake AND 2 flavors of cake mix from Angela’s Dominican Bakery in Brooklyn, a $50 value- and a dress down day!
– West, 2nd Grade: a $25 gift card to Queens Bagel- home of the rainbow bagel- and a dress down day!
– Cameron and Julien, 8th grade: a $25 gift card and a dress down day!
– Isabel, 5th Grade: Principal for a Day…the grand prize!
Change of Date: Catholic Schools Week
Please be advised that Catholic Schools Week has been pushed back to the week of February 7th. More details to follow.
Father Frank received a grant for an online platform called Formed. There are movies, articles, and much more to help shape an individual’s Catholic Identity. Please see the flyer that will provide you with additional information for signing up. There are also many wonderful faith formation resources for students.